A common man marvels at uncommon things. A wise man marvels at the commonplace. CONFUCIUS

Thursday 28 June 2007

Post-Pennine Way Blues

Earlier this year I completed the Pennine Way in 17 days (the photo is of the church at Hawes). I had a wonderful time. I walked solo and stayed mainly in B & Bs and the odd country inn and youth hostel. (What on earth is happening to the youth hostel movement these days? Many hostels have closed or are about to close or have been turned into hotels.) The whole route was a joy and the pub bar craic in the evenings was superb. Returning home I experienced severe post-Pennine Way blues. Walking each day along a beautiful and moderately challenging linear route had become a way of life difficult to give up. But I'll have to live in my imagination for a while - so I'm poring over 3 books which have recently arrived from Amazon: The GR10 Trail: Coast To Coast Through The French Pyrenees by Paul Lucia, published by Cicerone; The Way Of St James: Le Puy To The Pyrenees by Alison Raju, also published by Cicerone; and A Pilgrim's Guide To The Camino De Santiago: A Practical And Mystical Manual For The Modern Day Pilgrim by John Brierley, published by the Findhorn Press. How to find the time to walk all these paths..? Just dreaming at the moment... but I'll do them one day - and The Cape Wrath Trail and The South West Coastal Path and The Corsican High Level Route and... and...

No comments: