I’ve never done anything but dream. This, and this alone, has been the meaning of my life. My only real concern has been my inner life. FERNANDO PESSOA

Sunday, 13 January 2008

Wilderness Walks

I have just watched once more - back-to-back on the UKTV Gardens channel - some of Cameron McNeish's spectacular Wilderness Walks. Surely the best TV programmes ever produced in the UK about wilderness treks. They featured Chris Brasher in the Cairngorms; Chris Smith on the island of Mull; Matty McNair leading a dog sled team on Baffin Island's Meta Incognita Plateau; Lesley Riddoch, the feminist journalist, in County Kerry's Macgillycuddy's Reeks; John Mackenzie, the Earl of Cromartie, in Letterewe, Wester Ross; and David Craig, the poet and historian, on the Knoydart Peninsula. Congratulations again to Cameron, and to the director Richard Else, on a wonderfully uplifting series of programmes. One of my New Year's resolutions is to get up to Scotland and experience it all first-hand...

No comments: