6 facts about Hermann Hesse:
1. Both of his parents were Christian missionaries.
2. He had intense conflicts with authority figures such as his parents and teachers - which resulted in him being placed in special schools, even in a mental institution.
3. He worked in bookshops until the publication of his novel Peter Camenzind enabled him to lead an independent life as an author.
4. He was exempted from military service due to an eye condition. All his life he was afflicted with nervous disorders and headaches.
5. He underwent long periods of psychoanalysis following the death of his father, the sickness of his son and his wife's schizophrenia.
6. He knew Carl Jung personally.