I’ve never done anything but dream. This, and this alone, has been the meaning of my life. My only real concern has been my inner life. FERNANDO PESSOA

Monday, 12 October 2009

The Streets of Derry

All 6 broadcasts of the 'Transatlantic Sessions' (Series 3) can be found @ www.rte.ie/tv/transatlanticsessions. With thanks to am @ oldgirlfromthenorthcountry.blogger.com for this info.

Though this video is not in fact taken from those sessions, both Paul Brady and Cara Dillon did appear in them. I saw Cara with her husband Sam Lakeman (on piano) at Southwell Folk Festival in 2008, and they were spellbinding. Sam is one of a talented trio of brothers - the other 2 being Sean and Seth.

A few years ago I was lucky enough to see Sean at the Trinity Arts Centre, Gainsborough, performing (along with singer Kathryn Roberts) as part of the contemporary folk band 'Equation'. I was delighted to have a little chat with him during the interval. I've also heard Seth in concert at the De Montfort Hall, Leicester (Bob Dylan performed here in the 1960s - one of my wife's cousins saw him!) Seth is a fast and brilliant fiddle player - but his violin was amplified so loudly that my ears rang with pain, and this rather spoiled the whole gig.

No comments: