A common man marvels at uncommon things. A wise man marvels at the commonplace. CONFUCIUS

Monday 12 October 2009

The Streets of Derry

All 6 broadcasts of the 'Transatlantic Sessions' (Series 3) can be found @ www.rte.ie/tv/transatlanticsessions. With thanks to am @ oldgirlfromthenorthcountry.blogger.com for this info.

Though this video is not in fact taken from those sessions, both Paul Brady and Cara Dillon did appear in them. I saw Cara with her husband Sam Lakeman (on piano) at Southwell Folk Festival in 2008, and they were spellbinding. Sam is one of a talented trio of brothers - the other 2 being Sean and Seth.

A few years ago I was lucky enough to see Sean at the Trinity Arts Centre, Gainsborough, performing (along with singer Kathryn Roberts) as part of the contemporary folk band 'Equation'. I was delighted to have a little chat with him during the interval. I've also heard Seth in concert at the De Montfort Hall, Leicester (Bob Dylan performed here in the 1960s - one of my wife's cousins saw him!) Seth is a fast and brilliant fiddle player - but his violin was amplified so loudly that my ears rang with pain, and this rather spoiled the whole gig.

No comments: