A common man marvels at uncommon things. A wise man marvels at the commonplace. CONFUCIUS

Sunday 27 December 2009

6 Reflections On Pilgrimage

Real love is a pilgrimage. It happens when there is no strategy, but it is very rare because most people are strategists. ANITA BROOKNER
Religion points to that area of human experience where in one way or another man comes upon a mystery as a summons to pilgrimage. FREDERICK BUECHNER
These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. HEBREWS 11:13
Don't be fooled into thinking you are supposed to arrive at a destination. It is the going that is central, the you that is going. Your pilgrimage is really about yourself observing your own transit across the landscape. RICHARD LEVITON
A pilgrim is a wanderer with a purpose. PEACE PILGRIM
A pilgrimage is an embodied prayer. MARA FREEDMAN

3 comments:

Laura said...

I met Peace Pilgrim in Pennsylvania when I was a very young child in the 1960s. Thank you for bringing that memory to my mind today.

The Solitary Walker said...

See my other Peace Pilgrim post from 5th Jan 2008!

Laura said...

I read back over your January 5th post and then the one from Conques - we were there in 2004 before I had heard of the Camino de Santiago or modern-day pilgrims. That trip took us to Cahors and St Cirq Lapopie - I would love to return now that I know more of the significance of those villages and towns. I hope to find time to read your entire blog in the coming days.