I’ve never done anything but dream. This, and this alone, has been the meaning of my life. My only real concern has been my inner life. FERNANDO PESSOA

Sunday, 30 January 2011

Small Stones

According to Fiona Robyn 'small stones' are bite-sized truffles of poetry celebrating the extraordinary in the everyday and the ordinary... Or, as she puts it another way, a 'small stone' is a polished moment of paying proper attention. I thought I'd have a go at writing some.

--------------------

a smeared knife
an empty shell
one single soldier left -

delicious
that boiled egg

--------------------

toaster still warm
bread crumbs on the floor
coffee cup rings
half-open door -
missing you already

--------------------

fenugreek
is more fragrant
though saffron
sounds fragranter

--------------------

serried ranks of trees:
today's green army
tomorrow's dream kitchen

--------------------

Rilke's bell

Strike me alive
Clap me round the ears:
I am, I am, I am

--------------------

A new 'small stone' from blog-poets around the world appears every day in the Handful of Stones widget on my sidebar.

4 comments:

Ruth said...

Oh Robert, these are wonderful small stones! I love the idea of small stones, like haiku with an added layer.

My favorite line of many is though saffron / sounds fragranter. Made me smile!

George said...

I love these small stones, Robert, especially the Rilke stone. I first learned of these delightful forms of poetry over at Pat the Weaver's site. In the coming weeks, I think I may give it a shot myself. Like haikus, it's a wonderful way to capture a brief frame of time and thought.

Raph G. Neckmann said...

I love these - they are digestible morsels of deliciousness!

The Solitary Walker said...

Thanks everyone for these delightful 'small stone' comments.

George - I, for one, am looking forward to your own creations...