A common man marvels at uncommon things. A wise man marvels at the commonplace. CONFUCIUS

Thursday 20 February 2014

Angels

Who, if I cried out, would hear me among the angelic orders?

RILKE Duino Elegies: The First Elegy (Translated by EDWARD SNOW)


Why can't they hear me, the angels?

Because they are far too busy meditating, mediating and annunciating . . .

. . . and pinned like butterflies . . .

. . . being frozen in paint and fresco . . .

. . . in galleries, museums and medieval churches . . .

. . . or publicising their appearance in new-age self-help books.

(Thanks to Wikimedia Commons for the pictures)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As Priest in Charge of a Church dedicated to St Gabriel, I couldn't possibly comment

Andy

The Solitary Walker said...

Don't worry, Andy - wouldn't expect you to comment (though you have), or even blow your horn… :)

Anonymous said...

I'll refrain from sounding the trump - best to stay on the right side of the archangels ;-)