A common man marvels at uncommon things. A wise man marvels at the commonplace. CONFUCIUS

Wednesday 6 August 2008

Zucchini Hell


What to make of the simple courgette!/If you feed it the corpse of a pet/This humble zucchini/Will grow from just teeny/To a dirty great marrow, you bet.

Ha! I see the last foodie post has provoked more comments than all my philosophical and religious ramblings!

You know how I wrote a few weeks ago that everything has its downside? Every thesis its antithesis? Every boom time its credit crunch? Every glut its shortage, and every shortage its glut? Yes, you can indeed have too much of a good thing. Thanks to one and all for the recipe suggestions, but this courgette eater is now heartily sick of courgettes and is lobbing them into the freezer. The courgette and basil soup was the final straw. It was very strong-tasting, as I think I overdid the basil. And the pulpiness of the courgettes gave it a sickening, glutinous consistency - rather reminiscent of wallpaper paste. (It wasn't a patch on my other speciality 'green' soup - spinach - which is really nice.)

The pic shows a courgette that got away (zucchini Houdini?) and was heading towards marrow status until I twisted it off the plant just now. Could this be a marrini or marrette?

5 comments:

Dominic Rivron said...

Funny, I thought it was courgarrow.

Ron Bloomquist said...

When my Zucchini get too big I wait until midnight and then slip them through people's cat door!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Cook two or three courgettes gently with lots of garlic - keeping mashing it to a lumpy mush with a wooden spoon/season/add a handful of grated parmesan and a dollop of creme fraiche or fromage frais and put on pasta - delicious!
Or, if it reaches marrow status, cut it into rings and fill each ring with a sausage meat/herb/cheese/onion/egg stuffing and roast. Double delicious-enjoy!

The Solitary Walker said...

Mmmm... thoses recipes sound delicious.

Rebrites@yahoo.com said...

We´re also awash in these veg, even though we don´t grow them. I think the neighbors are slipping them through the cat door...

I grate them up, (the marrows, not the neighbors!) squeeze out the excess water, beat them together with a couple of eggs, Parmesan, and breadcrumbs, and fry them up into fritters. Serve them with garlic mayo. YUM.