I’ve never done anything but dream. This, and this alone, has been the meaning of my life. My only real concern has been my inner life. FERNANDO PESSOA

Wednesday, 23 December 2009

Countdown To Christmas (Get Ready): Coventry Carol

This is my 2nd favourite Christmas carol...

Lullay, lully, Thou little tiny Child,
By, by, lullay, lullay.
Thou little tiny Child.
By, by, lully, lullay.

O sisters, too, how may we do,
For to preserve this day;
This poor Youngling for whom we do sing,
By, by, lullay, lullay.

Herod the King, in his raging,
Charged he hath this day;
His men of might, in his own sight,
All young children to slay.

Then woe is me, poor Child, for Thee,
And ever mourn and sigh;
For Thy parting, neither say nor sing,
By, by, lullay, lullay.

(Sung by the Cambridge Singers)

3 comments:

Dominic Rivron said...

A bit further down my list than 2nd, but a good one!

In the Bleak Midwinter is top of my personal list this Christmas. Away in a Manger probably 2nd.

Alan Sloman said...

Beautiful - thank you. Not heard it before.

The Solitary Walker said...

In The Bleak Midwinter - top of mine too, Dominic.