I’ve never done anything but dream. This, and this alone, has been the meaning of my life. My only real concern has been my inner life. FERNANDO PESSOA

Tuesday, 22 December 2009

Forsinard


To complete the account of my summer Scottish trip... From Duncansby Head I drove the east-coast road south to Wick, and then on to Helmsdale. I camped by the sea at Lothbeg. The next day, my last day in Scotland, I temporarily headed north once again, following the Helmsdale river as far as the RSPB Nature Reserve at Forsinard. I'd hoped to catch a glimpse of the rare red-throated diver, but didn't - though saw lots of skylarks and meadow pipits, hawker dragonflies, and plants like sphagnum moss and sundew, bogbean, bog asphodel and bog myrtle (which has a peppery, aromatic scent). You can see all these plants in the photos below...




I walked the short, flagstoned Dubh Lochan Trail, and then the 4 mile circular Forsinain Trail. Blanket bog stretched out as far as the eye could see. This peatland habitat has barely changed in the last 6000 years...

No comments: