I’ve never done anything but dream. This, and this alone, has been the meaning of my life. My only real concern has been my inner life. FERNANDO PESSOA

Sunday, 10 November 2013

Bakewell Tart


I thought I'd better make amends for my rustic, rock-hard soda bread, so I've just taken a Bakewell tart from the oven which I'm actually quite pleased with. I don't like puddings which are too sweet, and this one fits the bill nicely. The shortcrust pastry is light, thin and buttery, and the tart has a lovely, fresh, almondy taste, with crunchy flaked almonds on top and a base layer of raspberry jam. In the jug there's some crème fraîche. All perfect for Sunday tea with a pot of Earl Grey.

The recipe I followed is Mary Berry's, and you can find it here. I can't resist namedropping shamelessly by saying that I've met Mary Berry and several other famous chefs, including the Roux Brothers and Antonio Carluccio. This was because I used to work for the publishers who produced some of their cookbooks. I'll never forget eating at Carluccio's flagship London restaurant (of course, there's a whole chain of these now). The benign and generous-hearted Antonio came to our table and gave us all a lesson in the finer points of olive oil appreciation. He convinced us that a fine olive oil dripped onto ciabatta bread was food heaven.

4 comments:

Dominic Rivron said...

It looks almost good enough for me to pop round for a bit - although I don't THINK I'd go quite that far for a bit of cake... I went to Bakewell not that many years ago. If I remember right there are two different versions and there is controversy (and rivalry) there as to which recipe is indeed the real Bakewell tart.

The Solitary Walker said...

Dominic — it would be lovely to see you, as always, but I think by the time you'd arrived... the tart would be gone!

The Weaver of Grass said...

Makes my Sunday tea (whhich I am just about to get ready) look a bit feeble. Must not let the farmer see this.
Incidentally I think Dominic will find that the real Bakewell tart is in fact called Bakewell pudding and is really quite different although just as delicious.

The Solitary Walker said...

I am sure you are incapable of making a feeble Sunday tea, Pat, from what I've read of your recipes!