A common man marvels at uncommon things. A wise man marvels at the commonplace. CONFUCIUS

Friday 8 November 2013

Day Off

dear boss

because the world is plural multiple and various
and because walt whitman said ‘resist much obey little’
and because allen ginsberg said ‘follow your inner moonlight don’t hide the madness’
and because philip larkin said ‘how little our careers express what lies in us and yet how much time they take up’
and because the bright day beckons with its birds and insects and rivers and rocks all doing what comes naturally to them
and because i want to hear the sound of woodland silence
and because the snaking track through the forest is irresistible
and because i want to test the mystical powers of orchid asphodel and mandrake root
and because i want to sit under a yew tree and get high
and because i want to follow a stream unto its source and a canal unto its basin and a mountain path unto its apex
and because i want to embrace praise and celebrate the unbelievable truth (if it is the truth) that god is love
and because life is short and death is long and work is annoying . . .

because of all these reasons and more i will not be going in to the office today
and taking my usual place between the water cooler and the yucca plant
and occupying myself with my normal business at the computer
but instead i will be unravelling the mysteries of existence
and discovering the boundaries (if there are any boundaries) between man and tree and man and stone and man and god and man and wild animal
and walking as far as i can without feeling tired or guilty . . .

so i do beg your understanding compassion and forgiveness
and i’ll see you tomorrow in my usual place
between the yucca plant and the water cooler amen

11 comments:

Carolyn H said...

Perfect!

Dominic Rivron said...

Like it. This has Facebook viral dissemination potential!

George said...

I'm with Dominic on this one. Viral dissemination seems assured because you have spoken for multitudes.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I will join you there.

jan said...

Great. It might also be the basis of a resignation letter. If only I had some way of supporting myself!

The Solitary Walker said...

'One of the saddest things is that the only thing that a man can do for eight hours a day, day after day, is work. You can't eat eight hours a day nor drink for eight hours a day nor make love for eight hours --all you can do for eight hours is work. Which is the reason why man makes himself and everybody else so miserable and unhappy.' WILLIAM FAULKNER

Nick said...

I wish I'd had you to write me a 'sickie' in the days when I was working. Or maybe I don't; you're too truthful, too direct; no boss I knew would accept your reasons as valid - poor sad people that they were.

Cris M said...

Dear SW, no need to be so sorry! here I go again with my comment!

May I submit this letter to my boss onMonday??? Even when I am a pretty enthusiastic worker and I enjoy my job, I have days when I simple want a day off.
I don' t understand why we can call and have a day off when we are sick and not when our creativity and wisdom are gone and we are equally useless... I am an awful lier and too guilty to call in saying I am sick when I am not so this letter would be a perfect tool for those occasions!
Warm hugs
Cris M

PS: if this goes viral in the facebook, I offer myself for the Spanish translation!

The Solitary Walker said...

Thanks for resending this, Cris, after I'd deleted it by mistake. By all means, feel free to use my poem as a sick note template. However, be warned, it may get you into trouble. The boss man/woman may not understand..!

Ruth said...

Love it. Those three poets and their words invited me right out into your wellness day with you.

The Solitary Walker said...

Thanks, Ruth! You would be welcome to share my day off any time.