A common man marvels at uncommon things. A wise man marvels at the commonplace. CONFUCIUS

Monday 23 July 2007

Wandering Clouds

Who among us has never felt feelings such as these on returning to Lakeland after months imprisoned within city walls?

Oh there is blessing in this gentle breeze,
A visitant that while it fans my cheek
Doth seem half-conscious of the joy it brings
From the green fields, and from yon azure sky.
Whate'er its mission, the soft breeze can come
To none more grateful than to me; escaped
From the vast city, where I long had pined
A discontented sojourner: now free,
Free as a bird to settle where I will.
What dwelling shall receive me? in what vale
Shall be my harbour? underneath what grove
Shall I take up my home? and what clear stream
Shall with its murmur lull me into rest?
The earth is all before me. With a heart
Joyous, nor scared at its own liberty,
I look about; and should the chosen guide
Be nothing better than a wandering cloud,
I cannot miss my way. I breathe again!

The opening lines of Book 1 of The Prelude by William Wordsworth

And who needs maps when you have wandering clouds?

No comments: