A common man marvels at uncommon things. A wise man marvels at the commonplace. CONFUCIUS

Monday 28 December 2009

5 Reflections On Walking

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks. JOHN MUIR

Every day I walk myself into a state of well-being and walk away from every illness. I have walked myself into my best thoughts, and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away from it. SOREN KIERKEGAARD

The civilized man has built a coach, but he has lost the use of his feet. RALPH WALDO EMERSON

My God is the God of Walkers. If you walk hard enough, you probably don't need any other god. BRUCE CHATWIN

Moreover, you must walk like a camel, which is said to be the only beast which ruminates when walking. When a traveler asked Wordsworth's servant to show him her master's study, she answered, 'Here is his library, but his study is out of doors.' HENRY DAVID THOREAU

7 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

My feelings exactly - particularly Chatwin who I love. Have you read Black Hill? (I really don't need to ask that question Roberts, as I am sure you will have done so). Happy New Year to you All.

The Solitary Walker said...

I have read it, as it happens, Pat. An absolutely terrific book. On the shelf above me there's a second-hand copy of Susannah Clapp's 'With Chatwin: Portait of a Writer'. Must get round to reading this next year. So much to read and so little time to read it, as usual.

Happy New Year from all of us here too!

Phoenix C. said...

Walk like a camel I shall!

May 2010 be a year of inspiration for you.

The Solitary Walker said...

A wonderful 2010 to you too, Phoenix... and happy ruminating!

gleaner said...

I desperately need to get back to walking and these quotes are perfect. A great time to make a resolution too.

Wishing you a happy new year that is full of many lovely walks.

The Solitary Walker said...

A Happy New Year to you too, Bella! BTW, just put up another post on walking and sauntering...

claire bangasser said...

Great quotes. I particularly like Soren Kierkegaard's :-)