A common man marvels at uncommon things. A wise man marvels at the commonplace. CONFUCIUS

Thursday 10 December 2009

Countdown To Christmas (14): Flight

It's coming on Christmas
They're cutting down trees
They're putting up reindeer
And singing songs of joy and peace
I wish I had a river
I could skate away on...

Joni Mitchell: River

Greedy people take what's mine
I can leave them all behind
And they can never cross that line
When I get to the border

Saw-bones standin' at the door
Waiting till I hit the floor
He won't find me anymore
When I get to the border

Monday morning, Monday morning
Closing in on me
I'm packin' up and I'm a-runnin' away
To where nobody thinks of me

If you see a box of pine
With a name that looks like mine
Say I drowned in a barrel of wine
When I got to the border...

Richard Thompson: When I Get To The Border

But if you got to go,
It's all right.
But if you got to go, go now,
Or else you gotta stay all night...

Bob Dylan: If You Gotta Go, Go Now

1 comment:

am said...

I like approaching Christmas in this way. Listening to all the voices singing.