A common man marvels at uncommon things. A wise man marvels at the commonplace. CONFUCIUS

Monday 4 June 2012

The Aubrac

After that, continuing to climb, it [the route] eases its way up onto the even higher open plateau land of the Aubrac, with its drailles (wide drove roads), its burons (shepherds' bothies) and its lush green meadows rising to nearly 4000 ft. Flocks were driven up from the valleys below every year to spend the summer months grazing there, an activity known as transhumance. Pastors, each with several hundred animals, would make their way there on foot, a journey often lasting several days. ALISON RAJU The Way Of Saint James: Le Puy To The Pyrenees

6 comments:

Goat said...

Looks like my kind of country - the stone and the stonework look pleasingly weathered and dramatic. I find the idea of the shepherd's life very appealing, I must say. I wonder where you study to get a degree in shepherding.

Don't know if this is the best place to ask, but since we're sort of touching on technology with your video, I was wondering about the ease or otherwise of recharging batteries along the Chemin. Is it do-able at the pilgrim lodgings?

Ruth said...

Full screen I felt I could reach out and touch serene stone or water. I especially love the shot of the fence that leaves off on one side of the river and picks up on the other. Gorgeous paired with Mozart!

The Solitary Walker said...

It appeals to me too. I grew up amongst cows and pigs and sheep and chickens as my father (a corn miller) and his unmarried sister who lived next door kept some livestock and rented out some land to my cousins who were proper farmers. I suspect shepherding these days is more to do with quad bikes and mobile phones, however.

Absolutely no problem recharging along the Camino routes, as long as you have the right adaptor.

The Solitary Walker said...

Ruth, just in case you didn't realise, if you click on HD and follow the "vimeo" link you'll be able to see the full-screen version in much better definition...

Sabine said...

This is really lovely. Thank you.

The Solitary Walker said...

Thanks for your comment, Sabine.