The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes, but in having new eyes. MARCEL PROUST

If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, Infinite. WILLIAM BLAKE

Wanderer, there is no way; the way is made by walking. ANTONIO MACHADO

Friday, 1 March 2013

Birdwatching

Hide at Langford Lowfields.


















Today I returned to my local RSPB reserve, Langford Lowfields, which I last visited four weeks ago. The weather was cold and the sky overcast. I thought it would be interesting to make another list of all the birds I saw and compare it with yesterday's; the habitats of woodland, farmland, lake and river were very similar. Twenty-nine different species were recorded, slightly fewer than yesterday. These birds were on both lists:
Wood pigeon, rook, crow, jackdaw, robin, dunnock, blackbird, cormorant, mallard, pochard, tufted duck, wigeon, coot, gadwall, goldeneye, shelduck, grey heron, great tit, blue tit, chaffinch, black-headed gull.
And these were the new sightings:
Magpie, greenfinch, goldfinch, yellowhammer, reed bunting, pintail, mute swan, little egret.
Finches, robins, dunnocks, great tits, yellowhammers and reed buntings were busy at the feeders near the hide. It was great to see a little egret, though these birds are becoming much more common now in the UK. But the highlight for me was a pair of pintails — such strikingly marked ducks, especially the males with their chocolate-brown heads, gleaming white breasts and long, black tail feathers.  

Daffodils emerging through last year's leaves at Langford Lowfields.

3 comments:

Gail said...

HI - beautiful pictures, a glorious day albeit chilly and cloudy - my kind of day for sure. Not a big fan of hot sun and heat. I love your adventures in nature. You take me places I can't get to any more.
Love Gail
peace...

The Solitary Walker said...

Thanks for your comment, Gail. I really appreciate it.

Laurel said...

Wow,that's an impressive list. I haven't seen much other than chickadees in months but a long and close encounter with a chilled out snowy owl last weekend kind of made up for the dearth of bird activity.

I am jealous of those daffs.