I’ve never done anything but dream. This, and this alone, has been the meaning of my life. My only real concern has been my inner life. FERNANDO PESSOA

Tuesday, 30 July 2013

A Trip To The Mythological Garden Centre

We'd only popped into Reg Taylor's Garden Centre for a Rozanne geranium, a bag of compost and a cup of coffee.  Imagine our surprise when this cockerel pointed the way . . . 

. . .  to the Swan Sanctuary, which had been taken over by both savage and playful beasties . . .

The swans were frozen in graceful flight . . .

. . . and this larger-than-life spider was also in a state of perpetual immobility, thank goodness . . .

We witnessed the birth of a dragon . . .

. . . and rejoiced in the exultation of these sculpted figures . . .

. . . though we soon came down to earth with a bump, and realised that life was not always so jubilant . . .

In a dark corner of a copse we started to feel distinctly uncomfortable . . .

. . . so much so, that we hastened by this faceless green lady, though we coveted her wide-brimmed hat . . . 

This alabaster-like Ophelia, however, was not as protected against the sun's glare . . .

For one crazy moment we thought we'd time-travelled to Spain . . .

. . . but soon realised we'd simply walked into a Grimm's Fairy Tale . . .

. . . or perhaps . . .

. . . a horror movie . . .

8 comments:

John Gray said...

Love the swans
Not sure about the the odd little dog though
Lovely photos

am said...

Yikes!!! I like the birth of a dragon best.

Ruth said...

Fantastical. I love your photo of the sculpted figures dancing against the sky.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Fantastic images - love the swans. Not the place to go on a dark night.

Craig said...

Really creative. I'm with John - the swans are excellent.

Dominic Rivron said...

A mythological garden would be good. Could one mow the lawn simply by thinking about it?

Interesting sculpture. Got me thinking I ought to go back to Yorkshire Sculpture Park sometime.

dritanje said...

Beautiful! (though yes, some are disturbing). But I do like the idea of sculptures in a garden centre - or absolutely anywhere.

The Solitary Walker said...

Thanks, everyone, for your comments.

Dominic — yes, me too, I'd love to visit the Yorkshire Sculpture Park again. May go soon, so watch this space!

And Dritanje, I like the idea of sculptures anywhere too, specially in the open air.