I’ve never done anything but dream. This, and this alone, has been the meaning of my life. My only real concern has been my inner life. FERNANDO PESSOA

Saturday, 23 November 2013

Pondered Garrulousness

Two great quotes from last Saturday's Guardian Review (yes, I'm behind) . . .

Allan Cameron in his book In Praise of the Garrulous describes writing as pondered garrulousness. He also says this: Talking, listening, reading and writing add little to our GDP, but a great deal to our wellbeing.

As bloggers, I think we all know instinctively what he means.

3 comments:

George said...

Couldn't agree more. GDP may be a measure of our material wealth, but "wellbeing" is something altogether different, something that depends on good writing, good conversation, and mindful listening.

The Solitary Walker said...

Yes, I agree, George!

Dominic Rivron said...

I like "pondered garrulousness". I've just indulged in some, commenting on a fellow-blogger's post. I wrote three paragraphs and deleted two. I risk stating the obvious here, but I'm always interested in how, when I go on and on "on paper" I reflect and cross out a lot of things I would have said had I simply gone on and on talking. Had I just talked, I wouldn't have crossed anything out. I might even have felt quite pleased with myself. It's a scary thought. It makes me wonder how many ridiculous assumptions I've made just because I talk more than I write. Is the process of writing essential to the refinement of thinking? Isn't this why the development of civilisation and the development of writing tend to go together?