I’ve never done anything but dream. This, and this alone, has been the meaning of my life. My only real concern has been my inner life. FERNANDO PESSOA

Thursday, 19 December 2013

London: (5) Tate Britain

To Tate Britain on Millbank . . . The Tate has just reopened its doors again after a two-year refurbishment. The result is simply stunning. There's an Art Deco-inspired circular staircase, an elegant rotunda balcony and a vaulted basement café serving the finest Jing tea


Tate Britain is famous for its collections of Henry MooreConstable, Turner, Blake and the Pre-Raphaelites.


For fun I bought six cards of some of the artworks which had impressed, intrigued and moved me the most. From left to right these pictures are: Henry Moore Pink and Green Sleepers Graphite, ink, gouache and wax on paper; Howard Hodgkin Rain Oil on wood; John Constable A Lane near Flatford Oil on paper laid on canvas; JMW Turner The Burning of the Houses of Parliament Watercolour; William Blake The Blighted Corn Wood engraving on paper; William Blake Newton Colour print, ink and watercolour on paper.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Great!

I always buy postcards of the works I love at museums and use them for bookmarks. So good to revisit them again and again.

The Solitary Walker said...

Yes, I tend to buy lots of postcards from museums and art galleries too. Pale momentos of the real thing, however (though better than nothing) — after so often seeing reproductions of famous paintings, the colours of the originals really shock and astound you. A completely different experience!