The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes, but in having new eyes. MARCEL PROUST

If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, Infinite. WILLIAM BLAKE

Wanderer, there is no way; the way is made by walking. ANTONIO MACHADO

Friday, 21 February 2014

Wholemeal Loaf


I love cooking, but successful bread making has always eluded me. My loaves were very hit-and-miss affairs — too yeasty, not risen enough, dense and heavy as bricks. My soda bread was fine, but any other type was a disaster. Some of you kindly sent me your own tried-and-tested methods in response to this plea. I carefully followed the instructions for a white loaf and a wholemeal loaf, but still no luck.

I'm not one to give up easily, so yesterday I had another go, having found this piece in the Guardian. Success! Dan Lepard's recipe for wholemeal bread is simply brilliant. It's unusual in that you add half a crushed vitamin C tablet and melted butter to the mix. Also the dough requires hardly any kneading. The result is a pleasantly light loaf with a soft open crumb. You can find the recipe at the end of the Guardian article. (One tip: keep the dough nice and soft, on the wet side rather than too floury.)  

7 comments:

George said...

Looks delicious! You are a man of many talents.

The Solitary Walker said...

But a master of none, George!

Rubye Jack said...

It looks to me like you've mastered bread making. :)

The Solitary Walker said...

Though I say it myself, Rubye, that loaf does taste delicious! Just made another with cheese in it. No stopping me now...

Goat said...

Looks magnificent! Last night I had some really tasty focaccia-style bread made by Kate's brother. "The magic ingredient," I was told, "is the salt."

Rebrites@yahoo.com said...

It IS magnificent! Tonight I will try making it with olive oil instead of butter, will let you know how that turns out.

Thanks a TON. I think you finally cracked this mystery!

The Solitary Walker said...

Salt's important, Goat — not too little, not too much. (Whereas I'm nor sure that sugar is really necessary, though quite a few recipes include it.) I love focaccia! But I love bread per se. Give me some really good bread and cheese, and a glass of wine, and perhaps a few olives, and I'm very happy.

Good luck, Reb! I now think that bread making is up there on the list of most satisfying human activities ever.